Four students at St Catherine’s College in Eastbourne have been praised for their quick thinking when they spotted a fire on their way to school.
The Year 7 pupils were walking along Pevensey Bay Road last Thursday (6 October) when they smelt and saw smoke in the bushes they were walking past.
The youngsters could see the fire was working its way up a tree and dialled 999 to raise the alarm. They waited for the fire crew to arrive and extinguish the fire and afterwards the youngsters were pleased to be allowed to see the hoses and other equipment close up.
St Catherine’s Principal, Mark Talbot, said, “I’m very proud of these pupils. They did the right thing and their quick thinking meant that the fire was put out swiftly and didn’t escalate into a more serious incident.”
Eastbourne Station Manager, Mark Webb, said, “The pupils made the right decision in calling 999 to get help and it goes to show that age doesn't matter when it comes to raising the alarm. They did a great job. We hope this serves as a lesson to all families - teach your children what to do in an emergency so we can get firefighters there as soon as possible.”