200 Jobs Could Be Axed As Extra £6.5M Needs To Be Saved In East Sussex

Tuesday 11th October 2016

eastbourne buzz news - Councillor David Elkin
 

200 jobs could be on the line, council tax could go up and millions wiped from the public purse as millions must be saved in East Sussex.

Earlier this year, the County Council said £17.3 million had to be cut from spending, but today (11 October), the authority’s announced a further £6.5 million must be found.

County Hall says savings need to be made, largely as a result of cuts in Government funding and increased needs of residents. They’re now warning the continued impact of frontline services is unavoidable, with more than £4 million possibly being cut from children’s services over the next three years.

The authority plans to review community care, drop-in activity at children’s centre, services for carers and children with special educational needs and grass-cutting as possible areas to save money.

Cllr David Elkin, lead member for resources, said, “We won't know exactly how much money we’ll have to spend next year until after the Chancellor’s autumn statement in November.

“However, the continuing tough economic climate means we will face more big challenges and will have to look at all the services we provide to see how we can make the savings we need.

“The proposals in the report are a starting point and we will continue to work closely with partners and communities, and to consider alternative ways of saving money.

“We’ve already shown we can be trusted to make every penny count and make the best possible use of the resources we have, and we will still be spending at least £350 million a year providing the services people need.”

The savings will be managed within the council’s three-year financial strategy to reduce spending by £70 million to £90 million by 2019.

The council says it will focus resources taking into account its priorities of protecting the vulnerable, boosting the economy, helping people help themselves and making the best use of resources.

It is warning up to 200 jobs could be lost as it reduces spending over three years, but aims to avoid compulsory redundancies.

The latest savings forecasts were discussed by cabinet today, with a final decision on the budget to be taken by the full council in February.

1   2   3   4   5       Next

Weather Forecast

Tide Times