Man Suffers CO Poisoning In Hooe Fire

Tuesday 20th December 2016

eastbourne buzz news - Pevensey Fire Station Open Day 2016
 

A man’s been taken to hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning during a fire in Hooe.

Fire crews from Pevensey were called to Top Road at 11.44pm last night (19 December). The blaze had started through a coal fire at the property.

The gas board and paramedics were also called out and the man was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Station Commander for Battle and Bexhill, Doug Marshall, said, “When fire crews arrived, the occupier's kitchen appliance had led to an excessive build-up of carbon monoxide in his property, which needed ventilating. The appliance was made safe and a home fire safety check was carried out. On this occasion, a fitted CO alarm could have alerted the occupant earlier to the dangerous gas.

"East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would recommend a carbon monoxide detector if you have any fossil fuel burning appliances such as log burners, open fires or gas appliances and have them installed in accordance with the manufacturers guidance. This should also be supported by having Smoke Detectors as a minimum on each floor of your property.

"Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas which can result in serious illness, or death, when present in sufficient amounts.

“When gas, or other fossil fuels, like coal, wood or oil, don’t burn properly, too much CO is produced, which is poisonous - you can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but CO can kill quickly and without warning.”

1   2   3   4   5       Next

Weather Forecast

Tide Times