Candle Warning Issued By East Sussex Firefighters

Thursday 29th December 2016

eastbourne buzz news - Candle
 

We’re being reminded of the dangers of candles in Eastbourne.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has issued the warning, after dealing two fires caused by candles in the county this month.

Candle safety advice

You should take care where you decide to put candles in your home. Candles are best placed:

  • on a heat-resistant surface - be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic
  • in a proper candle holder, so they don't fall over
  • out of the reach of children and pets
  • out of draughts and away from curtains, other fabrics or furniture, which could catch fire
  • with at least 1 metre (3 feet) between the candle and any surface above it
  • with at least 10 centimetres (4 inches) between any two candles
  • away from clothes and hair - if there's any chance you could forget where a candle is and lean across it, put it somewhere else

Make sure you put out candles before moving them and don't let anything fall into the hot wax, like matchsticks.

Never leave a candle unattended. Make sure you:

  • put out candles before you leave a room and before you go to bed
  • never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child's bedroom
  • use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out - blowing them can send sparks and hot wax flying
  • double-check that they are completely out and not still smouldering
1   2   3   4   5       Next

Weather Forecast

Tide Times