Eastbourne Urged To Check Electrical Appliances

Monday 16th January 2017

eastbourne buzz news - Caroline ansell
 

Eastbourne MP, Caroline Ansell, is urging older people and their relatives to check electrical appliances this winter to ensure they are safe.

Decades-old kettles, toasters or electric blankets could be unsafe through wear and tear or are often not built to modern safety standards and this can lead to fires.

To help raise awareness, Caroline is supporting a campaign by the charity, Electrical Safety First, which is especially targeting older people by prompting them to get all their appliances looked at or changed, if necessary.

“Many modern appliances are now state-of-the-art and very safe but nearly everyone has something that is older and it might not reach these standards so it needs to be checked,” said Caroline.

“Electricity causes 20,000 house fires a year, some 350,000 people a year are seriously injured and 70 are killed by an electrical accident in the home, so this is a major problem but one that can be easily avoided.

“I would ask everyone to consider checking the Electrical Safety First’s website and make sure that their own appliances and those of their elderly relatives are working well, up-to-date and used safely.”

1   2   3   4   5       Next

Weather Forecast

Tide Times