Firefighters are asking us to take care in the kitchen after two calls in Eastbourne in less than 12 hours.
Last night (12 April) just after 7.15pm, two engines were sent to St Leonards Road, where there had been reports of the smell of burning. It turned out to be a false alarm, promoted by cooking.
Then at 5.38am this morning, crews were called to a fire alarm sounding in Seaside. This was caused by overheated food.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue say more than half of accidental fires in the home, start in the kitchen.
They have issued some advice to help prevent a fire:
• Make sure you don't get distracted when you are cooking
• take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call
• take care if you're wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily
• don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration