We’re being urged to protect our cars in Eastbourne.
It follows a recent rise in the number of vehicles being stolen, particularly in Sovereign Harbour and at Langney Point. Police have received several reports of homes being targeted, specifically to gain access to car keys to steal the vehicle.
Police Constable Ed Faulkner said. “We are asking the public to be extra vigilant with regards to the security of their homes and vehicles by locking all downstairs windows and doors either when not at home or when they retire to bed. Also. to make sure that any car keys are well hidden to prevent the theft and subsequent risk that this could pose to the community.”
The majority of burglars are opportunistic as they will look for properties where they think they can enter unobserved and work undisturbed. By following the following crime prevention tips, you can deter this crime from happening to you.
- Keep your front and back doors shut and locked – even when you are at home.
- Close and lock all downstairs windows.
- Never leave car keys, door keys or other valuables in view of a letterbox or window.
- If possible keep your car and door keys in a secure place where thieves are unlikely to look.
- Secure your garage and shed too – equipment kept in a garage or shed can be just as tempting for a burglar.
- If you can, install a burglar alarm and set it every time you leave home.