Two Wins For Eastbourne Rangers

Sunday 1st October 2017

eastbourne buzz news - Ben Barnett Eastbourne Rangers

Match reports by Marc Mckay


Eastbourne Rangers 5-1 AFC Haywards

The Rangers first team ran out eventual comfortable winners against a spirited AFC Haywards side which sees the red and blacks jump to second spot in the division.

Rangers opened the scoring on 11 minutes, when Luke Regan slid home a Kent Meier centre after a neat Tony Russell ball had sent the latter away down the left.

Russell would soon turn villain though as he saw his penalty saved after Russell himself was fouled in the box, with the away keeper making two other excellent saves from Meier and Harris to keep his team in the game at the break.

Rangers knew they needed to put in a better second half display and it was Harris, the top scorer in the division, who settled Rangers down with a fine finish from the edge of the box on 54 minutes. Rangers then made some staggered changes, which saw Dan Wilkes and Jamie Strong come on for Ben Benjamin Jesson and Harris.

Strong and Wilkes made an immediate impact after Wilkes found the former in the box, and with his first two touches of the game Strong gave Rangers a three goal cushion with a clever finish.

Half time substitute Dylan Nanuck then scored two, well taken goals, with a combination of his pace and tiring AFC legs seeing the wingman finding plenty of space - his first a quite sublime goal after rounding the keeper in exquisite fashion.

The away showed great spirit and scored a late consolation goal which would be the only blot on the Rangers book all afternoon.

The Old Dave's Gourmet Burgers MOM was awarded to Ben Barnett - a solid display at the back after a well overdue return to the team after a lengthy suspension.


Crawley Athletic 1-2 Eastbourne Rangers Res

Our reserve team recorded back to back victories for the first time this season after a hard working display in Crawley.

In an uneventful first half, Rangers had Luke Davies to thank after two good saves kept the score level at the interval.

The second half saw the home side breakaway midway through the half and applied a finish to go a goal up.

With 10 minutes to go, Charlie Shearing was upended in the box which saw old hand Jules Waters carefully despatch the resulting spot kick in to the back of the net. Another excellent save from Davies ensured Rangers stayed level while Shearing was then in the thick of the action again after his clever flick went agonisingly wide.

But with just a minute to go and Rangers found a moment of magic. Waters swung in a free-kick which was only cleared to substitute Sam Weller 20 yards from goal who unleashed a ravishing volley, which nestled into the roof of the Crawley net.

The Old Dave's Gourmet Burgers MOM was awarded to Luke Davies with Cristos Misirlis coming a close second.


1   2   3   4   5       Next

Weather Forecast

Tide Times