We’re being asked to take more care in the kitchen in Eastbourne.
Between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2016, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service attended 341 accidental fires which started in domestic kitchens across the county, with 153 recorded as cooking-related.
Andy Reynolds, Assistant Director of Safer Communities said, “Many of us lead very busy lives and as a result distraction is the major cause of fire when it comes to fires in kitchens at home. Fortunately, fires are discovered sooner and are often dealt with very quickly because many people now have working smoke alarms. However, if a fire takes hold it can cause a great deal of damage and so we would urge people to take precautions to prevent this from happening.”
Dealing with a fire
If a pan catches fire in your kitchen: